Tuesday, December 18, 2012

My Life

HI, my name is Shirley Chen.  I am a Chinese immigrant from China and I have been here for almost three years.  I'm a sophomore in Hinsdale Central High School.  This is a great school.  I'm taking English 2, Geometry, World Cultures, Biology, etc.  World Cultures is the class that I'm in and writing this letter to you.  I like this class the best, because I get a chance to know different people from different cultures or religions.  And this is where I get to know you!  I'm in Art Club, where we can do artistic stuff.  We are repainting old furniture recently.  It's pretty fun.  I try-outed for badminton last year and fail, but I'm going to try again this year.  Wish me luck!

This is Lin Dan, a Chinese badminton champion at 2012 London Olympic.  I feel proud him, because I love badminton and he was born in my home town.    
My friends are mostly Chinese, but some of them are American.  Claire is my American friend and she is in my English class.  We know each other from first day of school.  We always talks about school,  and study together.  We are going to exchange Christmas gift on winter break.  isn't that exciting?  I'm looking forward to that.  Yu is my Chinese friend, I know her since seventh grade.  We also lived together for two years and went to the same elementary and high school together.     Although we don't live together anymore, but we can still see other during class period and lunch, which is nice.  

I'm living with my mom and cousin here.  I have no brother or sister, but I have five cousins and they are just like my brothers and sister.  During Chinese New Year, we usually gather up and have dinner together.  Chinese New Year in the United States is not that exciting compare to my hometown's.  However, I still like it, because I am not alone here.
Exchange Christmas gifts.

This is a Chinese New Year symbol, it means lucky.

I want to be a ESL teacher or an engineer in the future.  I want to be a teacher for ESL because I was a ESL student in my freshmen year.  I understand how it's feel to be a foreign student, I have to learn a whole new language, which is English, made me feel depressed sometimes, so I want to be a ESL students and help kids from other countries.  I also want to be a civil engineer because I heard a presentation on civil engineer before and it brought up my interest about it.   Civil engineer can work either on the field or in the office.  They come up with a plan of how to build a safe building.  I don't much about it though.  

Civil Engineer
Civil Engineer

I'm looking forward to know you!  
Write me back! :)





13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shirley,

    It's sad that you didn't make the badminton team last year, but I hope you can make it this year.

    What gift are you going to get your friend Claire for Christmas?

    What do you like to do for fun besides art club and badminton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I bought her a animal hat and a phone case.

      I also like to hang out with my friends.

      Delete
  3. how to be want an engineer and ESL teacher in the same time?
    that's hard you should chose one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know, but I haven't decide which one yet.

      Delete
  4. Why can't the Chinese new year symbol mean something else besides being lucky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because that symbol is actually a word in Chinese, and it means luck.

      Delete
  5. Do you miss your friends and family in China?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the first year I do miss my friends, but now everyoe have their own life and we lose touch.

      Delete